Sunday, May 12, 2013

Photo: Desert Dreams

This is one of the four larger peaks of the Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes. The larger dunes are tricky because they are a magnet for hikers and usually are covered with footprints. This dune was the one further away from the parking lot and had a nice ridge for catching sunset rays.

Desert Dreams
Copyright Laura A Knauth, All rights reserved.
Please contact me for any usage or licensing options.

I found the dunes to be a very challenging location - seemed to me an exercise in extreme opportunistic photography. The truly beautiful lighting around sunrise and sunset doesn't last very long; by the time you see how the sunlight will play off of the terrain, you inevitably realize your intended comps have footprints in the way, and it is difficult to move quickly from dune to dune to try again. (Quite a workout!) In the end, I found the most success staying planted in a reasonably promising location and making the most of it, even if my initial comp didn't work. I didn't expect so many fluffy clouds for a desert scene, but there they are. ;p

Location
Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes
Death Valley National Park, California

Technical Details
Canon 50d
Canon 18-200mm Lens, 20m
f/13, 1/80s, ISO 100

Filter
I'm pretty sure I used just a Circular Polarizer for this one.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

by Laura A Knauth

No comments:

Comments Welcome!